Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Inner Battles

My legs won't cooperate with my body today and it's entirely my fault.

** -- ** -- ** -- ** -- ** -- **

My calves are still super sore from yesterday's hill repeats. It wasn't all that far, but I'm definitely paying for the enthusiasm I put into running up and down those hills.
Today was 5 miles on the treadmill and my legs were not having it. My right calf was being difficult before I even started my workout. I stretched after my run yesterday, before bed, after I got up this morning and right before my workout. It didn't seem to help much. It feels like I got punched right above the ankle on the back of my right leg. I even double-checked my leg for a bruise after my run today. Nope. No damage, just this little internal voice screaming at me from the general direction.
What do you do with uncooperative leg muscles? It was bound to happen at some point; the joint pain would subside and I would have to deal with my overworked muscles trying their best to refuse two 5-mile runs in a row. I can't wait to get used to this. If I keep up my training, pretty soon a 5-miler will be a piece of cake. That's definitely not happened yet. I wasn't about to let some silly leg cramp get me down so I got on the treadmill and went. The first 10 minutes consisted of steady even walking. Then, I picked up the pace. I was able to maintain a 9:13 pace for the next 2 .5 miles. I walked/ran for the remaining couple of miles and I was glad it was over. The time I was making while jogging was eaten up by the times I pooped out and started walking. My pace: somewhere above a 10min/mile.
I was so happy with the pace I had set for myself yesterday that I thought I could do better. So much for that.
I am still having trouble dealing with treadmill boredom setting in shortly after the beginning of my workout. I watched a documentary called "The Future of Food" on my Netflix app for iPhone. It was written and directed by Deborah Koons Garcia, wife of the late Jerry Garcia. Even the fear it evoked in me about GMOs and sinister corporate takeovers wasn't enough to delay boredom for more than 30 minutes. Great film, as far as documentaries go. I blame my boredom soley on my chosen method of exercise.
Did I ever mention how glad I am that it's getting warmer here in Wisconsin?

1 comment:

  1. I get bored on the treadmill too. I love running outside but that has to be challenging with cold weather in WI! Good luck in your marathon journey!

    ReplyDelete